Building & Trade Permits
The City of Lilburn adopts building codes to ensure that our residents live in homes that are safe from structural failure, fire hazards from electrical and heating systems, electrical shock, and health risks.
Before starting any building project, contact the Planning and Economic Development Department by calling 770-279-3710 to determine if a permit is required. View the Permit Application Guide for step-by-step instructions and checklists.
- New buildings or accessory structures (including sheds over 120 square feet and retaining walls over 4 feet, swimming pools, and fences over 4 feet high)
- Additions (garages, bedrooms, bathrooms, sunrooms, etc.) and alterations
- Renovations (garage conversions, basement finishing, kitchen expansions, etc.)
- Mechanical (HVAC)
- Electrical systems (service upgrade, rewire, generators, etc.)
- Plumbing systems (including water heaters)
- Residential work (decks, fireplaces, pools, etc.)
A permit is required for subcontractors, such as plumbing and electrical. The subcontractor affidavit form must be submitted before work begins and at least 24 hours prior to requesting an inspection. Proof of the following current documents must be provided for each trade permit:
- Occupational tax certificate/business license
- State (trade) license
- Proof of property damage liability insurance ($100,000.00)
- Driver’s license or other photo identification