Both parcels include Commercial Business zoning (8.9 acres along US29) and R2-Medium Density Residential zoning (2.88 acres to the north). The CB zoned property is within the US29 Overlay District but the entire property is within the 2019 Comprehensive Plan’s US29 Overlay Character Area.
The applicant intends to zone the entire property CB with a Special Use Permit to develop the property with 90 attached townhomes that will be fee simple (for sale) and approximately 23,800 square feet of commercial space. The proposed residential buildings include 3-7 units each, 2+ stories in a mix of 21’ and 24’ wide homes, with minimum 1-car garage and overall density of 7.6 units per acre. The commercial out parcels are proposed to accommodate 23,800 square feet of retail space. Access is currently proposed from Lawrenceville Hwy and both sides of Lilburn School Road with a potential new road or re-alignment of Lilburn School Road as a new connection to Bryson Park.
ANALYSIS OF REZONING REQUEST
The townhome proposal accomplishes the goals of the City’s Comprehensive Plan by maintaining more intense uses along US 29 and providing in-fill residential units that increase the variety of housing choices in the area. Existing properties in the vicinity are apartments, a school, an active County park, church, cemetery, compatible single family detached homes, and a variety of commercial uses.
According to the Zoning Ordinance (Section 404-1) The CB district is intended to provide …commercial retail, professional service, and office activities … and to accommodate redevelopment of under-utilized and/or aging commercial sites to mixed-use developments with an integrated higher density residential component. The proposed development integrates townhomes with commercial uses and promotes the walkability of the community, where residences connect to nearby park, school, religious and retail services.
Required public notice resulted in a few concerns regarding potential increases in traffic; however development under current zoning would allow predominantly commercial uses. Lilburn Police and Public Works anticipate no adverse impacts from the proposal.
Based upon the Criteria for Amendments to the Official Zoning Map, and the above considerations, the Planning Commission recommended APPROVAL of rezoning to CB with a Special Use Permit (SUP) for fee simple townhomes with the following conditions:
- The development must comply with the site and building requirements of the US29/Lawrenceville Highway Corridor Overlay District.
- Residential density not to exceed 9 units per acre.
- The house size shall be a minimum of 1,400 square feet.
- Planning & Economic Development Department shall be provided with detailed renderings prior to issuance of building permits. Renderings shall include a mix of elevations, materials, textures, and brick/roof colors. All units shall have a brick or stone water table at least 30 inches in height.
- Each unit shall have a garage and driveway to accommodate required parking for the unit. Additional guest parking shall be provided throughout the residential development and maintained by an HOA or equivalent.
- No trailers or recreational vehicles shall be parked to be visible from a public road.
- Commercial sites shall provide direct access to Lawrenceville Highway, as may be conditionally approved by GDOT.
- The developer/owner shall dedicate a minimum fifty foot wide right-of-way and construct a 2-lane public road to connect from property line at Lilburn School Road to property line at Bryson Park. The developer/owner will work with the City to develop a mutually agreed upon alignment of the new roadway.